Hello Zeromedia! Are you a fan of Mexican cuisine? Do you love the rich and spicy flavors that come with it? Enchilada sauce is an essential component of many Mexican dishes, including, well, enchiladas. If you’ve ever wondered how to make enchilada sauce from scratch, you’re in luck. With this step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to whip up a delicious batch of enchilada sauce in no time. So, let’s get started!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) of tomato sauce
Before we begin, here are a few tips:
- Make sure to use high-quality ingredients. Fresh herbs and spices will make a big difference in the flavor of your enchilada sauce.
- If you like your enchilada sauce spicier, feel free to add more chili powder or cayenne pepper to taste.
- If you prefer a smoother consistency, you can blend the sauce in a blender or food processor before using it.
Now, let’s start cooking!
Step 1: Heat the Oil
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Step 2: Add the Flour
Once the oil is hot, add the flour and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes until the mixture turns light brown.
Step 3: Add the Spices
Add the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper to the flour mixture and stir for another minute. This will release the aromatics in the spices.
Step 4: Add the Broth
Gradually pour in the broth, whisking constantly to avoid any lumps. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Step 5: Add the Tomato Sauce
Reduce the heat to low and stir in the tomato sauce. Simmer the sauce for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
Step 6: Serve
Your enchilada sauce is now ready to use! Pour it over your favorite Mexican dish, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some commonly asked questions about enchilada sauce:
What is enchilada sauce made of?
Enchilada sauce is typically made with chili powder, garlic, cumin, and tomato puree or sauce.
Is enchilada sauce spicy?
Enchilada sauce can be spicy or mild, depending on the amount of chili powder or other spices you use.
Can I freeze enchilada sauce?
Yes, you can freeze enchilada sauce for up to 3 months. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container.
And there you have it, Zeromedia. Making enchilada sauce from scratch is easy and delicious. Experiment with different spices and adjust the recipe to your liking. Impress your friends and family with your homemade enchilada sauce. Until next time, happy cooking!